P-Square was a Nigerian musical duo consisting of twin brothers Peter Okoye and Paul Okoye. They were born on November 18, 1981, in Jos, Nigeria. P-Square gained immense popularity for their unique blend of R&B, hip-hop, and Afrobeat music styles, as well as their energetic performances and captivating dance routines.
Peter and Paul Okoye popularly known by their stage name as P-Square are Nigerian famous R&B duo artiste and identical twin brothers, singer, songwriter, recording artiste, stage performer, investors and entrepreneurs. Peter Okoye is also known as Mr P while Paul Okoye is also known as Rudeboy. They were born on 18th November 1981 in Jos, Plateau State in the northern part of Nigeria. They are currently 40 years old.
P-Square is originally from Ifite Dunu, a small village in Anambra State in the south eastern part of Nigeria. They are currently married with beautiful children. According to them, Michael Jackson inspired them to begin their break dancing routine and later formed a dance group known as “Smooth Criminals” in 1997.
Their artistic talent and dance routine later made them famous in the city of Jos, Plateau State in the northern part of Nigeria where they performed at schools, church, ceremony, events and social gathering. P-Square completed both their primary and secondary school education in Jos, Plateau State in the northern part of Nigeria.
After completing their primary school education and obtaining their First School Leaving Certificate, P-Square proceeded to St. Murumba Secondary School, a small Catholic school in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria and obtained their West African Senior School Certificate.
While still in secondary school, P-Square join their school music and drama club where they began singing, dancing and mimicking pop legend Michael Jackson. At first they wanted to become footballers but later decided to establish a career in music after admiring the American pop legend, Michael Jackson.
In 1999, P-Square returned to music school to develop their skills on keyboard, drums, bass and rhythm guitar. After completing their program in music school, that same year in 1999, P-Square got admitted to the University of Abuja and graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration.
In 2003, P-Square established their records label known as “Square Records” which was managed by their senior brother, Jude Okoye. In 2005, P-Square released their second studio album “Get Squared” under their own record label name “Square Records” The videos for their second album held the number one position on the MTV Base chart for four straight weeks.
While still in the university, P-Square decided to disband from the group “Smooth Criminals” and later formed different groups before finally settling for P-Square in 2000. In 2001, P-Square won the “Grab Da Mic” music competition. That same year in 2001, P-Square also won the “Most Promising African Group” in the Kora Awards. That same year in 2001, P-Square also released their first debut studio album “Last Nite” and the album won them “Best R&B Group” at AMEN Awards in 2003.
P-Square has the highest fan base in Africa compare to other artiste in Nigeria. P-Square has performed alongside with international artists like Sean Paul, Akon, Chris Brown, Kenya West, Jay Z and Rick Ross.
They are also known worldwide for their close resemblance of American R&B Superstar, Usher Raymond. On 4th April 2010, P-Square was named the Artist of the Year at the Kora Awards in Burkina-Faso.
In 2007, P-Square released their third and bestselling studio album “Game Over”. The album has sold over 8 million copies worldwide and still counting. In 2009, P-Square released their fourth studio album “Danger”. P-Square is current based in Lagos, Nigeria with their family.
After ten years of dating, Paul Okoye of P-Square got engaged to his long time girlfriend, Anita Isama. They both got married on Saturday, 22nd March 2014 at the Aztech Arcum Events Centre in Port Harcourt, River State, Nigeria.
After seven years of dating, Peter Okoye of P-Square got engaged to his long time girlfriend, Titilola Loretta Omotayo. They both got married on Saturday, 17th November 2013 and the wedding was attended by African richest billionaire Aliko Dangote.
In 2015, P-Square bought a mansion at Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria worth five hundred million naira (#500 million) after their mother’s death which created a lot of controversy in Nigeria. P-Square currently has an estimated net worth of $15 million, making them one of the richest and most influential artiste in Nigeria.
In 2016, P-Square had a grievous misunderstanding due to their elder brother Jude Okoye mismanagement of their record labels and decided to split. This misunderstanding caused the group that has been together and active for 18 solid years to split. Peter Okoye of P-Square now goes with his new stage name “Mr. P” while Paul Okoye of P-Square now goes with his new stage name “Rude Boy”.
P-Square has won so many awards such as Best R&B at the Headies Awards, Best African Act at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards, Artiste of the Year at MTV Awards, Best Hip hop Group at Kora Awards and many more. In 2017, they had misunderstanding with each other and went solo, but in 2022 they came back again as a duo.
P-Square Early Life and Formation:
- Peter and Paul Okoye were raised in a musical family. They began singing and dancing at a young age and were influenced by artists like Michael Jackson, Bobby Brown, and MC Hammer.
- In 2001, they formed the music duo “P-Square” and started performing at various events and talent shows.
P-Square Career Breakthrough:
- P-Square’s breakthrough came with their debut album “Last Nite” in 2003. The album received positive reviews and marked the beginning of their successful career.
- Their subsequent albums, including “Get Squared” (2005) and “Game Over” (2007), solidified their position as one of Africa’s most popular musical acts.
P-Square International Recognition:
- P-Square’s music began to gain international attention, and they collaborated with artists from around the world, including Akon on the hit single “Chop My Money” remix.
- They released several successful albums, such as “Danger” (2009) and “The Invasion” (2011), which featured hits like “Do Me,” “Personally,” and “Beautiful Onyinye.”
P-Square Personal Ventures:
- In addition to their music, Peter and Paul Okoye pursued individual interests. Peter, also known as Mr. P, explored a solo music career, while Paul, also known as Rudeboy, did the same.
- Despite their individual pursuits, they continued to collaborate on occasion.
- In 2016, P-Square faced internal conflicts and disagreements, leading to their temporary separation.
- The duo later announced their official breakup in 2017, citing irreconcilable differences. They each continued their solo careers.
- P-Square left a lasting impact on the Nigerian and African music scene, contributing to the globalization of Afrobeats.
- Their music, dance routines, and style continue to influence artists both within and outside Africa.
It’s worth noting that my knowledge is based on information available up until September 2021, and there may have been developments in their careers or personal lives since then.